We wanted to take this opportunity to share a few tips to ensure you get the best performance from the new app. Below are a few tips and tricks to enjoy the best experience when connecting with your friends, family and colleagues:
• Pin Skype to start: make Skype quick and easy to launch. From the Windows Phone start screen, swipe to the application list, locate Skype, and press and hold. Select pin to start.
• Windows Phone Metro User Interface: delivers a clean and consistent experience on all Windows Phone 7.5 devices, making it simple and easy to navigate through the applications and get to the Skype tile to get started.
• Contacts: once logged into Skype, you will notice that you can quickly find your contacts. Just tap a letter to bring up the jump list and select the contact you want to connect with. If you want more information about the contact, just swipe to the side of the panorama display to see the contact’s full profile page.
• Make free audio and video calls** to your Skype contacts over 3G and 4G or WiFi***. Please make sure, when video calling, to use the landscape mode so you can fully enjoy the quality and full screen display.
• Remember you can send and receive instant messages during a call, so you won’t miss any messages while talking. Messages will pop up directly and you can answer them by swiping to the next screen. Returning to the initial screen is as easy as swiping back again.
• Start a group chat: In addition to sending instant messages to a single person, you can also set up chats for a group of people. This can be very useful to share ideas with a group of co-workers while on the go, or to chat about the last party you went to with your friends. From the app bar on the recent messages list, press the + and start adding contacts.
• All the Skype emoticons you know and love can be found in Skype for Windows Phone Beta. Use them to liven up your messages and chats.
• Keep your profile updated: share more information on what you are doing, where you are and how you feel by changing your profile picture and mood message directly from the app. You can also check all your relevant Skype account information on the Profile tab.
• Finally, make affordable calls to landlines and mobiles to those contacts that are not on Skype using Skype Credit. Simply select the dialpad from the main app bar.
The Skype for Windows Phone Beta marks the beginning of a new experience that will improve in the future.
If you haven’t yet tried the Skype for Windows Phone Beta we encourage you to download it by clicking here directly from your Windows Phone or PC.
*The beta version of the Skype for Windows Phone app will have English language support only.
**The device must be equipped with at least one camera to utilize video calling.
*** Users can place calls with their Windows Phone over a cellular data connection or WiFi network. Additional data charges may apply. To get the best quality video calling, Skype recommends a strong WiFi connection. Skype-to-Skype calling on Windows Phone is compatible with Skype for Windows 4.2 and above, Skype for Mac OS X 2.8 and above, Skype for Linux, Skype for iOS 3.0 and above, Skype for Android 2.0 and above, and Skype running on TVs.
**** The Skype for Windows Phone Beta app is free. If you use your mobile data connection to download the Skype app, operator charges may apply, so we recommend an unlimited data plan.