WP7 jailbreak is on the way and there are some cool hack coming everyday to make WP7 smartphones much more useful than ever before. You need to play with registry of your PC to turn Windows Phone 7 into USB drive.
Warning:Remember, this hack is limited to one PC only. You can not use WP7 as a universal USB drive using this hack.
The steps are given below.
Step 1: Go to registry editor on your PC. Go to run and type “Regedit” and press enter.
Step 2: Navigate to
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB * Look for ZuneDriver and change following values * Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1. * Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0. * Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1.
Log off from the computer or restart it to enable the changes (not necessary). Now plug in your Windows Phone 7. You’ll get the notification of new hardware. You will be able to access all the files on your Windows phone 6. You can easily perform simple operations like copy, paste, modify, rename, delete etc.
We wanted to take this opportunity to share a few tips to ensure you get the best performance from the new app. Below are a few tips and tricks to enjoy the best experience when connecting with your friends, family and colleagues:
Skype for windows phone 7 is on marketplace
• Pin Skype to start: make Skype quick and easy to launch. From the Windows Phone start screen, swipe to the application list, locate Skype, and press and hold. Select pin to start.
• Windows Phone Metro User Interface: delivers a clean and consistent experience on all Windows Phone 7.5 devices, making it simple and easy to navigate through the applications and get to the Skype tile to get started.
• Contacts: once logged into Skype, you will notice that you can quickly find your contacts. Just tap a letter to bring up the jump list and select the contact you want to connect with. If you want more information about the contact, just swipe to the side of the panorama display to see the contact’s full profile page.
• Make free audio and video calls** to your Skype contacts over 3G and 4G or WiFi***. Please make sure, when video calling, to use the landscape mode so you can fully enjoy the quality and full screen display.
• Remember you can send and receive instant messages during a call, so you won’t miss any messages while talking. Messages will pop up directly and you can answer them by swiping to the next screen. Returning to the initial screen is as easy as swiping back again.
• Start a group chat: In addition to sending instant messages to a single person, you can also set up chats for a group of people. This can be very useful to share ideas with a group of co-workers while on the go, or to chat about the last party you went to with your friends. From the app bar on the recent messages list, press the + and start adding contacts.
• All the Skype emoticons you know and love can be found in Skype for Windows Phone Beta. Use them to liven up your messages and chats.
• Keep your profile updated: share more information on what you are doing, where you are and how you feel by changing your profile picture and mood message directly from the app. You can also check all your relevant Skype account information on the Profile tab.
• Finally, make affordable calls to landlines and mobiles to those contacts that are not on Skype using Skype Credit. Simply select the dialpad from the main app bar.
The Skype for Windows Phone Beta marks the beginning of a new experience that will improve in the future.
If you haven’t yet tried the Skype for Windows Phone Beta we encourage you to download it by clicking here directly from your Windows Phone or PC.
*The beta version of the Skype for Windows Phone app will have English language support only.
**The device must be equipped with at least one camera to utilize video calling.
*** Users can place calls with their Windows Phone over a cellular data connection or WiFi network. Additional data charges may apply. To get the best quality video calling, Skype recommends a strong WiFi connection. Skype-to-Skype calling on Windows Phone is compatible with Skype for Windows 4.2 and above, Skype for Mac OS X 2.8 and above, Skype for Linux, Skype for iOS 3.0 and above, Skype for Android 2.0 and above, and Skype running on TVs.
**** The Skype for Windows Phone Beta app is free. If you use your mobile data connection to download the Skype app, operator charges may apply, so we recommend an unlimited data plan.
I had an idea to build a conference calling app in windows phone 7, i started on it, as i knew that i can make a call to a person through the API using the Microsoft.Phone.Tasks.PhoneCallTask class. My idea was to make multiple calls in a thread and phone would do it. Unfortunately, i think that windows phone 7 is not multi tasking in a sense that say i selected three contacts to make a call in seperate threads, they keep on waiting until one of the task is over or done or processed.
This was the biggest hinderence, my app worked but the flow was not how i required it to be so. It make call to first contact, and keep the other call tasks in queue, when one of the call gets through, i had to press add call button, and then it initiate the second caller and so on and forth. This way it goes on.
My request to Microsoft is that please give this option to make a conference call automatically through the API if possible. That would open new objectives for developers and new ideas to float-in in terms of communication.
A three day marathon to achieve a goal to train and motivate the developers and students all over Pakistan to use and develop for windows phone 7. Sixteen universties were trained in a live video conferencing session at HEC ( Higher Education Commision ) premises. By educating the new upcoming students who will be the engineers and pillars of IT industry in latest technologies, we are infact empowering our country and Microsoft.
Following are the universities involved:
- Balochistan University of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Business Administration
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science and Technology
- Sardar Bahadur Khan Women University
- University of Balochistan
- Alama Iqbal Open University
- Air University Islamabad
- Fatima Jinnah Women University
- Frontier Women University Peshawar
- Quaid-e-Azam University Islamabad
- Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi
- UET Taxila
- Abdul Wali khan
- Lahore Collage for Women University
- Arid Agriculture University Faisalabad
It was a good session, at the end we made a small windows phone 7 app, learned the windows phone 7 architecture, its programming model, API’s and Tools involved, and finally the deployment process to market place. The more these sessions will be, the more awareness will come in the new comers and students.
Today i had a session at HEC ( Higher Education Commission ) premises, it was a video conference live session on Windows Phone 7 and .net Technologies. It was a good session, at the end we made a small windows phone 7 app, learned the windows phone 7 architecture, its programming model, API’s and Tools involved, and finally the deployment process to market place. The more these sessions will be, the more awareness will come in the new comers and students.
Universities who were connected on video conference and attending the session are as below:
Balochistan University of Engineering and Technology
Institute of Business Administration
Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science and Technology
Sardar Bahadur Khan Women University
University of Balochistan
I have a HTC HD7, i was waiting for a long time to dirty my hands on windows phone 7, it was to finally come on 23rd of September, but somehow it was not coming to my device unless it was officially released. I was thinking that might be microsoft is not considering my device , i visited many blogs to check what could be the reason.
One of Microsoft website said that we can track the release on site that when will it come, but my region was not on the list. I thought for 10 days wait period. I went to a website: http://wmpoweruser.com/simple-trick-to-force-the-mango-update. I followed the approach around 30 times but no use, i thought it is a fake trick, but the positive feedbacks on the post forced me to think over it a bit.
The post said that i have to disable wifi and bluetooth on the device, open Zune, under Settings -> update, as soon as i click on update i need to disable the wifi within a 1 sec difference. On my laptop there was a wireless on off shortcut key, so it was easy for me. This was somehow not working for me. I thought for a bit as a developers point of view and i realized that it goes to the server and see for information, and if i disconnect the wifi on my laptop within a second or two, the request might not go to server.
I did this;
a- I calculated the time between clicking the Update button and the time to see the message that “Your phone is up to date”
b- That was about 11 -12 seconds
c- What i did was than that i disabled the WIFI and Bluetooth on my HD7 device.
d- Connected my device to pc, and opened Zune.
e- Then i go to settings – Software and clicked update
f- As my time frame was 12 seconds, i counted till 9, and right before 3 seconds, i disabled the wifi on my pc.
g- Viola! i got the message that the there is an update avaiable for me.
Rest you guys know, how to update the software on your phone. This works for me 100%. I hope this will work for everyone as it worked for me at last.